Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Lowthers for Bosshogg

Didn't I see you in "Cool Hand Luke"? Well, never mind.

I do think that the front horn does improve but not completely cure some of the Lowther weaknesses. Yes the treble is tipped up due to the fact that the wizzer cone horn loads the treble range. The wizzer cone also restricts the dispersion of the highs which creates the treble beaming effect.

Two things can improve these problem areas. Front horn loading allows the midrange to be horn loaded as well as the treble, so the balance is better. Secondly, a larger phase plug like the Beauhorn wooden plugs will disperse the treble more than the bullet or holey doorknob plugs that Lowther makes.

My DIY front horn is not a thing of beauty, so I would not recommend it to you. I've seen pictures of the Hedlund horns, and I would hate to see it's lovely lines defaced by a DIY horn. I would, however, if I were you consider getting the Beauhorn wooden phase plug to relieve some of that treble beaming problem. I would get this then wait until the drivers arrive and have a chance to break-in before you contemplate any major design revisions to your Hedlunds. You maybe quite happy with the sound as they are, as they are reported to be excellent horns.

Report back later when your system is singing :)

Cheers,
Analogon

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Lowthers for Bosshogg - Analogon 22:26:15 08/08/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.