Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: On another, yet related subject, I just started to read about Mapleshade modded Scott tuners and......

I doubt if a stock FM tuner would ever outperform a modified FM tuner for best quality audio. I also find the more simple tuner designs respond best to modifications. As for later SS tuners, I never found an op-amp that sounded great in any amplifier circuit. Thus, I stay with tube designs.

Some noteworthy tuners are the EICO 2200 Classic (with mods) & the Fisher KM60 per other posts.

When I modify a tube tuner, the stock audio coupling caps are replaced with high quality capacitors. Next, I roll tubes for best quality sonics & at times will change an audio tube such as the lowly 12AT7 to a more suitable tube. Finally, I align the tuner.

I can say my FM tuner can sound better than some CDs on the right broadcast station. Of course, some CDs such as EPIC label are horrid.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: On another, yet related subject, I just started to read about Mapleshade modded Scott tuners and...... - Jimmy 06:30:32 11/14/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.