Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: question for Michael Samra

Randy
The K40-Y and k42-Y caps you can over 50vdc but I wouldn't go anymore than that.The Vitamin Q caps are ones you can go higher with but I don't do that anymore either.The reason I don't is because of turn-on voltages which come up to the source voltage many times. The MBM caps I would stay the hell away from.Those are a dry paper cap that isn't sealed and they always leak DC and can short out at even half of their rated voltage.

The cap you can go way over the rated voltage are the Russian Teflon FT2s and FT3s. The 200v rated ones I used in 600v applications all the time.Having the wonderful Sencore LC102 capacitor analyzer has allowed me to see the actual break down voltage on all these caps and in the case of the FT2s,it is over 750vdc.Keep in mind that when you replace a 630v cap,it doesn't mean the cap sees 630v across the cap.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.