Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

One other option

Feel free to start ripping your CDs to your computer whether you buy a new DAC or not. As others have noted, it is just another copy of the data file that is on the CD. If your CDs are in good shape and you rip to a lossless file format, you won't have to re-rip that CD down the road even if you later buy fancier equipment.

I've been ripping files to my computer for well over 10 years now and the ones I copied in the old days play just as nicely as the CD I ripped last evening. I've never had to re-rip a file unless I came across a different version or edit of the music.

Having the files on your hard drive will let you experiment with your current setup at no cost. Then, if you do decide to go to a server based system down the road, the music end of things is all taken care of. At most, you might have to copy the files to a different computer or storage drive, but that's a simple process.

I use a Vortexbox server and am at the state where my system doesn't even have a CD player -- got rid of it about 5 years ago.

In the meantime, you'll not only have something new to play with but you'll also be creating a backup of your music collection, which is never a bad thing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • One other option - mlsstl 11:46:03 01/20/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.