Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Sound quality cd vs. computer.

I can't quite get a consensus in my research on the subject of sound quality of computer files vs. cd's themselves.

I can offer only my specific experience but I would guess that most of us who have transitioned to computer based systems will likely agree that they are at least on par with our old CD disc spinners in terms of audio quality, but much more convenient.

I've owned many quality CD players over the years and still have one 'high-end' unit that I keep around mostly for nostalgia's sake. Plus it's fun to look at when I reminisce and am reminded of storage shelves full of jewel cases with plastic discs in them. I still own boxes full of plastic discs but they're stored down in the basement. I'll pop a disc into the ole CDP once a month or so to keep the motor and sled lubricated ;-)

My initial goal for a computer based system was to have it sound at least as good as my CD players. That was back in the 2009 or 2010 time frame and my goal was readily achieved, along with the convenience of having all of my music easily accessible with the click of a mouse button or a tap on my iPad remote control. A modest computer, playback software, and external DAC did the job.

With newer DACs, players, and streamers "better than CD" quality is commonplace.

"...don't want to spend money on a DAC, so there's that to be considered also..."

Good luck with that!

Without a decent DAC you're left at the mercy of whatever cheap commodity digital audio subsystem and cheap analog stage your computer manufacturer wedged into the computer as an after thought. You don't need to spend megabucks on a DAC, some nice ones are available in the $500 range, but trying to achieve quality audio in a computer based system w/o one will leave you severely handicapped.

You want decent computer based audio? You have to put at least SOME effort into it. Otherwise, just keep spinning those old plastic discs.

Just my 2-cents worth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.