Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: In general how much of a discount should i expect on a amp used as a demo at a shop?

IME most dealers give 10-20% off of MSRP on brand new sealed boxed items. So a used demo product where, as others have said, have had numerous people fiddling with it in store or in their homes shuould be at LEAST another 10-20% off on top.

I bought my Cambridge Audio CD 6 back in 1996 as a demo. It had the top removed and a glass panel put on it so people could see the inside - it was quite the overbuilt machine at the time and at the price. I got around 35% off list and I got well reviewed Tara Labs cables thrown in. The thing was basically on everyday for a year.

It's 2017 and that thing and the remote works perfectly. The Pink Triangle engineer created this for Cambridge Audio and it's been a rock.

I digress.

The PL is fairly popular right now which probably props up resale value because they have good marketing. But it's made in China and doesn't exactly use exotic parts.

The fact is there are a LOT of companies out there now making good tube amp makers making similarly priced Push Pull and SET amplifiers: Line Magnetic, ASL, Melody Audio, Audio Note, Cary, Dennis Had Inspire amps, Rogue Audio, Raven, Manley Labs, and probably 2 dozen others.

If I were you I would do the research and where possible the listening - pick THREE you can live with and then be a cat and patiently zero in on one for the price you are after and then pounce.

And who knows maybe you wait - find something you like better for less money.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.